- Jammu and Kashmir chief minister Mehbooba Mufti on Tuesday lashed out at National Conference president Farooq Abdullah for extending support to the separatist Hurriyat Conference, accusing the opposition of being involved in criminal activities for the past five months.
- India and Bangladesh may sign a pact during Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina’s upcoming visit to expand bilateral defence partnership.
Officials said both sides are looking forward to expanding security ties as part of the growing strategic partnership.
- The Bengal government has decided to pay its rice farmers by directly transferring the amount to their bank accounts. The government, which is initiating such a move for the first time, hopes to start the process in all 330 blocks of the state from December 10.
- The Army will replace its iconic Maruti Gypsy fleet with a new range of SUVs, having selected the Tata Safari Storme for an initial order of close to 3,200 vehicles, which could increase 10-fold in the coming years.
- General Ngo Xuan Lich, Defence Minister of Vietnam, calls on PM. General Ngo Xuan Lich, Defence Minister of Vietnam, called on Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi today.
- As a new American president bent on retaining American jobs prepares to take office, the Obama administration and the U.S. defense industry are working on a deal with the Indian government to build iconic U.S. combat aircraft in India.
- The Russian-Indian Indra NAVY-2016 naval exercise will be held on December 14-21 in the southeastern Indian coastal city of Visakhapatnam and in the Bay of Bengal, a military spokesman said Tuesday.
- India should plan offensive and covert operations to take target militant leaders and hit the Pakistani Army hard, two former Army chiefs said today. Former Army chief Gen (retd) Bikram Singh was of the view that Indian should exploit the fault lines in Balochistan and Pakistan-occupied Kashmir (PoK) so that .
- Demonetisation torpedoed India’s economy just when it was getting into a cruise mode, fired by good monsoon-led rural demand and urban buying.
- While the govt has used big data analytical tools for corporate tax reporting in the past, this is the first time that it will use it on such a large scale.
- JS Khehar, known as a tough, no-nonsense judge, will be the next chief justice of India succeeding TS Thakur, who will leave office on January 3, 2017.
Khehar, 64, will be chief justice for about seven months, the first Sikh to hold the office. The file on Khehar’s appointment was sent from Thakur’s office to the law ministry on Monday, said people with knowledge of the matter. India’s SC judges retire at 65.
- Air Chief Marshal Arup Raha has stressed on the need for effective utilisation of available resources for operational readiness at all times.
- Journalist, political analyst and comedian Cho Ramaswamy died on Wednesday at Apollo Hospital here, said an official. He was 82. A former BJP Rajya Sabha member Ramaswamy was ailing for some time and was in the hospital.